Tuesday, June 15, 2010

some thoughts on camping.


Camping is a time out. A place and time where I don't have to worry.
Where meals are fun. Dress code is relaxed. Where you can just be and visit while sitting around the campfire. Where there is a variety of activities to choose from and not everybody has to do everything.

It is a time where you can watch others having fun interacting and you can join in or not. It's up to you.

It doesn't come without work, though . I remember camping as a family and the frustration of setting up camp. I remember long hikes that I was pretty sure was never going to end and wanting to disown my parents for even thinking I wanted to be marched through muggy bugs to the cadence of "left. right. left. left. you could've stayed home but you left. right. left." Really? I could've stayed home? I am pretty sure that was a lie. On the flip side, I remember fun dinners, swimming, and laughter.

I have expanded my camping with a few to organizing a slighter bigger outing. 7 of my favorite work people have joined me for 3 years now. It is a huge undertaking as far as planning. I may open my own outfitting store. Last night Barrett and I bought two more sleeping bags..that brings us up to 6. two tents. 3 camp mats, 3 air mattress, a camp slowcooker, dutch oven, propane stove, various tarps and bungee cords to name a few things. Choosing a date that all works for us, carpooling conversations, meal planning, reservations, who needs what, are we going to make a t-shirt, what about the rain, what activities are there and the pre-camp meetings. All of that goes into a camp trip; whether you are camping for a weekend or a week. whether 1 person is going or 10.

No matter how much work is involved, the rewards are worth it. bugs, rain, laughter, dead car batteries, charred food, mud, falling on rocks, cold, heatwaves, all of it is worth the shared memories. Here's to a lifetime of these.

No comments: